Onsite Instructions for Session Chairs:
- Show up to the session 5-10 minutes before the session begins. Identify the paper presenters and in advance, and introduce yourself. Remind each presenter of the time limits that apply, and describe the method you will use to alert them of time limits during the actual presentation.
- Start the session on time. Call attention from the hallway and announce the session start if necessary.
- At the start of the session, introduce yourself to the audience, announce the session/title, and welcome all the audiences for attending. Please remind the speakers the length of their talks which includes 5 minutes for questions and discussions.
- Next, introduce the speakers with brief comments regarding the affiliation and/or background of each presenter.
- Prior to each presentation, announce the paper’s title, authors’ names and their affiliations. Identify the individual who will be speaking if it is someone other than the first author.
- During the presentations enforce time limits strictly so that no author (or audience member) monopolizes someone else’s time.
- Once presentations are complete the remainder of the time can be used for informal discussion with the audience and session participants. It is your duty to field questions from the audience.
- Try to conduct the session as informally as possible (e.g., use first names when addressing participants and members of the audience) to encourage as much audience participation as possible.